Between the Ottomans and the Entente: the First World War in the Syrian and Lebanese Diaspora, 1908- 1925 comes out in March 2019 with Oxford University Press. A social history of transnational activism in the Syrian and Lebanese diaspora from the 1908 Young Turk Revolution through the early French Mandate.
“Sound minds in sound bodies: transnational philanthropy and patriotic masculinity in al-Nadi al-Homsi and Syrian Brazil, 1920–1932” in International Journal of Middle East Studies (2014).
Full text here.
SELECTED SHORT-FORMAT ORIGINAL WORK
“Teaching Migrant and Refugee Histories in the Shadow of Trump,” IEHS Online: the Immigration and Ethnic History Society Website (2017).
“What we can learn from America’s Other Muslim Ban (back in 1918),” Tropics of Meta: Historiography for the Masses (2017).
“The Other Arab Revolt: on Syrian Mobilization at the Microlevel.” World War I in the Middle East and North Africa NEH Summer Seminar web project at Georgetown University (2014).
Cultural Exchange in a Time of Global Conflict: Colonials, Neutrals, and Belligerents during the First World War Sourcebook, King’s College London/Humanities in the European Research Area (HERA), November 2016.
- “Photograph of an Arab American military intelligence officer, 1919”
- “Letter by an Arab American soldier writing home from the front, 1918”
“The Syrian and Lebanese American Federation: a Case for Connection.” In Connections and Ruptures: America and the Middle East, edited by Robert Myers, 273-288. Beirut: American University of Beirut Press, 2011.
“Mother Syria and Syrian Motherhood: Imagining Mahjar Nationality between Ideal and Real.” Zaytoon Graduate Student Journal 1 (Spring 2009), 5-16.
- Awarded the 2016 Syrian Studies Association Outstanding Dissertation Prize.
Filter by Tags
The Latest 30 Posts
- New brief piece on Syrian American advice literature
- Between the Ottomans and the Entente featured on the Ottoman History Podcast
- New Book! Between the Ottomans and the Entente is shipping!
- New Publication: “An Archaeology of Rare Books in Arab Atlantic History” in Journal of American Ethnic Studies
- Public Talk on Passports and Post-Ottoman Nationalities, May 29 at the University of Washington
- Book review: Jeffrey Grey’s The War with the Ottoman Empire
- Brief piece online: The Power of Small Stories: a Syrian Abroad in World War I
- Found: George Matook (Massachusetts State Library Archives)
- Book Review: Crescent over Another Horizon: Islam in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Latino USA in the Journal of American Ethnic History
- Interview on CSPAN’s American History Television
- New piece published: “Teaching Migrant and Refugee Histories in the Shadow of Trump” in IEHS Online
- April 4 event on Fresno State campus: Symposium for Syrian Refugees
- New collaboration: AJ+ digital short on Syrian immigration to Boston
- New piece, “What We Can Learn from America’s Other Muslim Ban (Back in 1918),” appears in Tropics of Meta
- Ottoman Minorities Workshop at Fresno State: a summary of events
- Fresno Media coverage of Trump’s Executive Order and its impact on campus life
- State of the Field Roundtable session at OAH meeting in New Orleans
- In the press: interview with Fresno’s GV Wire on Syrian conflict
- In the press: Armenian Action covers Elyse Semerdjian’s visit at Fresno State
- Making Nations in the Mahjar awarded Syrian Studies Association Dissertation Prize
- SSA special roundtable at the Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting in Boston
- Elyse Semerdjian to present “Ottoman History from the Margins” at Fresno State
- New Web Publication: Arab American sources for Sourcebook on Cultural Exchanges during First World War
- New position: Visiting Assistant Professor of Islamic World History at California State University, Fresno
- New web publication on 2015 meeting with USCIS Asylum officers on Syrian refugees
- Talk at Berkeley’s Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- New article published: “Former Ottomans in the Ranks” at Journal of Global History
- Paper presented at Kings College London: “Becoming Syrian on the Battlefield”
- Meeting with US-CIS Asylum Officers to Discuss Syria and refugee resettlement
- New web piece: “The Other Arab Revolt,” a blog post on the NEH Summer Seminar page, WWI in the Middle East